Regular transmission fluid changes are critical to your vehicle’s health, but some people tend to forget about this preventative measure. The exact process and price of a transmission fluid change or flush will vary slightly based on the year, make, and model, but the cost is worth it if you want to keep this vehicle running for a while. When completed regularly (and correctly), transmission fluid maintenance can add years to the life of your car.
Transmission Flush vs. Transmission Fluid Change
Here at Highline Car Care, we call our transmission flush a transmission fluid exchange. The difference is that we don’t do a power flush with an external pump, because that process has been known to cause issues for some vehicles. Our transmission fluid exchange accomplishes the same things as a flush, but it’s safer for the vehicle. Instead of using an external pump, we use the vehicle’s transmission fluid pump to exchange all of the fluid– this gets the job done more safely.
A transmission fluid exchange is a more intense version of a transmission fluid change. A fluid change means replacing the dirty fluid in the pan with flesh fluid, while a complete flush extends to the cooler lines and torque converter as well. A transmission fluid exchange is more expensive than a standard fluid change, and regular inspections can help avoid the extra cost. Good mechanics can handle transmissions at home, but it’s best not to try if you’re not confident in your skills.
How Often Do I Need a Transmission Fluid Exchange?
The owner’s manual for your vehicle should include some guidelines about how often you need to get the transmission fluids inspected. As a general rule, most fluids will last you between 60,000 and 80,000 miles. For tow vehicles, or if your vehicle is under a lot of pressure, it might be best to change transmission fluid more often. High-stress situations for your car might include frequent use, hard-driving, or operating in hot places with lots of dust (like Gilbert, AZ). Most people don’t get their transmission fluid changed often enough, and there’s no such thing as doing it too frequently– it’s smart to play it safe if you like your vehicle.
Is a Transmission Fluid Change Worth the Cost?
When it’s time to address your transmission fluid, you can save money by taking it to a local Gilbert auto shop like Highline Car Care. We’ll always give you the best possible price for your exact circumstances. No matter where you take your vehicle, the cost of a transmission fluid change should be thousands of dollars less a new transmission or new car. The bottom line: it’s worth it to get your transmission fluid changed.
Why Would I Need a Transmission Fluid Exchange?
If you’re not very in tune with your vehicle, it’s best to get regular checkups. In between transmission inspections, there are three essential things to watch out for:
- Overheating Transmission – The most obvious signal is that your transmission temperature gauge is giving a high reading, but burning smells, and warning lights are big red flags, too.
- Delayed Shifting – If your car doesn’t seem like it’s shifting as quickly or smoothly, as usual, get the transmission checked as soon as possible. If your vehicle seems to change gears for no reason, go straight to the shop. Waiting for these issues to resolve themselves is the shortcut to expensive work.
- Failed Transmission – The final stages of transmission failure will make your car feel like it’s ruined: bad handling, vibrations, lack of acceleration, and the kind of noises you never want to hear.
Highline Car Care,
North Marvin Street,Gilbert, AZ 85233
Mon 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Tue 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Wed 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Thu 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM
Fri 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Tips for Buying a Used CarJanuary 11, 2021 - 5:11 pm
- What’s the Difference Between AWD & 4WD?November 23, 2020 - 7:03 pm
- Can Am Polaris UTV Service and Repair in Gilbert ArizonaOctober 29, 2020 - 1:13 pm
- 4 Reasons Your Check Engine Light Is OnOctober 26, 2020 - 10:33 pm
- How to Get the Best Range From Electric Cars During the SummerAugust 27, 2020 - 11:43 pm